Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2011 Colorado with 3.7 five-cylinder engine has 105,000 miles on it. Should I clean the throttle body? The truck is running great, but I've heard cleaning the throttle body is good maintenance .

·
Registered
389 Posts
You will likely find some build up in the TB when you clean it at 105k. It is a good maintenance item to do. I schedule mine for 25k intervals. Some guys do longer. Im sure we can find someone who does it at 10k too.
Just be mindful that when you clean your TB and MAF, the PCM may take a day or two to tune itself to the new airflow numbers. You may experience a high idle for the first couple of starts until it sorts itself out.
Take a look at the vent tube that goes into the resonator box. At this age its a good idea to replace that while you are in there.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Never tried it but some clean the TB while not removed from engine and leave the plug connected to avoid idle issues versus removing the assembly. Any thoughts on cleaning it this way?

·
Registered
389 Posts
It has to be way easier to clean it while on the bench. On the truck, you need to manipulate the butterfly to get to the back side where the bulk of the gunk is. Pushing the butterfly around manually opens you up to the opportunity to damage the drive gears. It could be done that way, i suppose, but I think you can do a better job with less risk doing it on the bench.
The two times I have done this, I had little to no re-learning necessary for the PCM. Truck fired up well and ran like before after 1 minute of idling. I have heard that it takes some trucks a couple days to settle in. Just didnt want OP to be caught cold if his truck needed more time.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I clean mine at about 20,000 - 25,000 miles. I drive my truck about 4x as many miles a year as my wife drives her 4Runner. So, whenever her oil change light comes on, I'll change the oil in her vehicle and mine. So that's about every 4th oil change for me and I change my oil about every 5,000 to 7,000 miles. At that point I check all fluids including differential fluid in front, back and transfer case, clean the throttle body and just check everything out real good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You will likely find some build up in the TB when you clean it at 105k. It is a good maintenance item to do. I schedule mine for 25k intervals. Some guys do longer. Im sure we can find someone who does it at 10k too.
Just be mindful that when you clean your TB and MAF, the PCM may take a day or two to tune itself to the new airflow numbers. You may experience a high idle for the first couple of starts until it sorts itself out.
Take a look at the vent tube that goes into the resonator box. At this age its a good idea to replace that while you are in there.
Thanks. I got an appointment with my dealership tech to clean the throttle body and MAF next week. However, the agent I dealt with said they weren't sure what I meant by "vent tube." :unsure:

Also, what about cleaning fuel injectors? is that a good idea?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Pretty sure the dealership will call it a PCV tube. You need to learn how to do these things yourself. It'll be over a hundred dollars at the dealership as opposed to 20 minutes and a can of MAF cleaner. Less than $10. That's just me. I know a lot of folks just don't enjoy this stuff like I do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! Did you DIY or have the dealer perform the service? Glad you are happy with the results.
I had the dealer do it. It was quite expensive, but I am very pleased with the outcome. It's like I'm re-learning how to drive my truck --- after having it for 11+ years. It has so much more power even just driving gently around town. And... it made my MBRP exhaust even louder!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts