Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well damn.
At 140K, until now my '05 3.5L had never been even slightly low on the dipstick.
Now it's losing fast. Was about 1 quart low at an oild change a few days ago.
Now it's back to the bottom of the stick.

Runs great, and I can't find a leak anywhere.
The coolant reservoir looks perfect... Too hot to remove the radiator cap at the moment.

Hmmm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm thinking maybe the oil filter got filled up and lowered the level on the stick?? top up the oil and keep an eye on it. Check your rad when its cool enough

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Also, another indicator, look at your exhaust tip...check color, soot & smell. You should be able to tell if you're burning oil. With GM motors, sometimes the valve guide seals give way and that can burn oil, but not 1-qt/week.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Guys, I led you on a wild goose-chase... not intentionally.

It looks fine as far as a I can tell in the dark with a flashlight.
The new oil was fooling me.

It was at the bottom of the dipstick at oil change two days ago..

(What I had forgotten to post when I opened this thread a while ago..)
the tech in the pit told me it looked all clean underneath, but when he pulled the drain plug he found that the gasket was shot and at last change some nimrod had put two crush-washers on it. The tech replaced the plug for me.

Sorry to post a false alarm.. I've having a really rough time at the moment and I totally spaced-out earlier when I came in from work and checked it.
The exhaust tip was fine, the coolant looks fresh and new, all looks good under the oil-fill cap.

Thanks much for your attention and help.
(did I mention it's running great?) :D

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Guys, I led you on a wild goose-chase... not intentionally.

It looks fine as far as a I can tell in the dark with a flashlight.
The new oil was fooling me.

It was at the bottom of the dipstick at oil change two days ago..

(What I had forgotten to post when I opened this thread a while ago..)
the tech in the pit told me it looked all clean underneath, but when he pulled the drain plug he found that the gasket was shot and at last change some nimrod had put two crush-washers on it. The tech replaced the plug for me.

Sorry to post a false alarm.. I've having a really rough time at the moment and I totally spaced-out earlier when I came in from work and checked it.
The exhaust tip was fine, the coolant looks fresh and new, all looks good under the oil-fill cap.

Thanks much for your attention and help.
(did I mention it's running great?) :D
Well looks like I'm alone in my oil burning worry boat all alone again :shootme:

Hasn't used any in two weeks so things are looking up :)

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
This thread is a great candidate for being closed! Problem solved and no longer necessary.

And what a relief for you that your vehicle needs a diet - drinking less oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts