Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this? I have a 2016 2.5 Four cylinder. I had my water pump replaced and now all the sudden my temperature gauge is moving up and then falling back down. Ive done a compression test and replaced the coolant temp sensor. I'm thinking its electrical, almost as if the cluster is messed up. If I order a new cluster, do I need to take it to a dealer or is there anyone local in the upstate who can program it for me?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry if this sounds blunt, but you should probably ask someone who has a basic understanding of engines before buying stuff. I’d ask some basic questions, but without being insulting I’d recommend you have the thermostat replaced, along with a drain/refill of the antifreeze.

What you described sounds like a thermostat heating up and sticking, and then finally getting hot enough to open, although you didn’t state if the temperature continually fluctuates or if it just does it during warm-up.

Good luck.

PS: hold off on the cluster

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My buddy is a mechanic he hooked his scanner up to it and everything is reading fine. there is no leaks.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is fluctuating back and fourth it doesn't shoot up and stay.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you checked coolant temperature with an infrared thermometer to determine if is actually fluctuating? If there is an actual fluctuation in temperature (not just a gauge indication of fluctuation), try changing the thermostat and make sure all the air has been “burped” out of the system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Open the hood, start the engine, let it get to operating temperature, watch the temp gauge, and have someone watch the reservoir. As the thermostat opens, and the reservoir either falls or burbs, that's the problem. If your coolant system is low and gets hot, you will see it in the reservoir level fluctuations when the thermostat opens. - fill it with DC and repeat until the gauge quits moving and the reservoir quits moving in levels. If it burps, then someone in this thread told you how to fix. Not sure all about the other stuff you and your "mechanic" spinning up... If that doesn't fix, have someone else change the thermostat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.