Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well lets face it..... if your going to do a swap, get as many cubic inches as possible
@evolocomotive :high5:
Has anyone swapped a Vortec 8100 out of a mid-2000's 3/4 Ton Chevy/GMC into a Colly? I think 8.1L of LS-based big block under the hood would be interesting. Too bad they never made them with an aluminum block. It'd destroy the handling characteristics of the truck.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Nope, the 8.1 is a slug that probably weights double what and aluminum LS motor does......I don't really consider it worth the time or effort IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any gen IV with 58X reluctor wheel will work, your 09 rado has a E67 ECU and it can be programmed to run any 58X engine. You'll only need the harness and Mounts from CPWire so it can be plug and play, I think your stock pedal and switch will work too. Anything from an LY6(6.0/l92heads) up to the newest one. Don't bother with the 5.3 IMO, hp is addictive and you'll want more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Any gen IV with 58X reluctor wheel will work, your 09 rado has a E67 ECU and it can be programmed to run any 58X engine. You'll only need the harness and Mounts from CPWire so it can be plug and play, I think your stock pedal and switch will work too. Anything from an LY6(6.0/l92heads) up to the newest one. Don't bother with the 5.3 IMO, hp is addictive and you'll want more

Honestly, I believe the 2009 might be the easiest swap as you dont have to have a custom engine harness built. 2009 V8 Coly harness is plug and play(as long as you go w/ gen4 motor.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The 2011 L9H 6.2 i used wires up the same as the
factory 5.3. all the sensors are in the same
place. no AFM/DOD just the same VVT. same
as a LS3 except for the truck int and cam. all
that was needed was a re tune. direct PNP
for my 2010 truck. all i added was a small cam
and 2800 stall

·
Registered
53 Posts
Honestly, I believe the 2009 might be the easiest swap as you dont have to have a custom engine harness built. 2009 V8 Coly harness is plug and play(as long as you go w/ gen4 motor.

Yes any gen IV will be easier swap with the V8 Colorado harness, because the truck already runs with a e67 ECU, it only need to be tuned to run a V8.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lot's of great info here, I have a 2009 W/T and doing some of the same research to install a 6.2. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks! I'm sure I will have questions. I live in truck country so there are tons of them around but not many Colorado's, mostly large 4 doors and SUV's. I also have a large GMC w/5.3. I really thought someone might assemble a kit of factory parts since mine is a 2009.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have read a lot of other topics on this forum over the last few days and this is the only one that seems to have the best info, but I just want to make sure I understand this correctly. I can take my 2010 3.7 that has a blown motor and stick a 5.3 out of another 08-12 Canyon/Colorado, into my truck and the only have to change the input shaft and bell housing, and get the custom made motor mounts.

I have just read so many different topics on this forum and some people are saying you have to change out computers, gas pedals, intakes, and all sorts of other things but i think that mainly pertains to the 07 and previous year models from what i understand.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I couldn't find a good low mi L9H =6.2 anywhere
in my area. the salvage yard got me one from
another yard in Michigan, they even paid the
shipping to there yard. I gladly paid a premium
for a cherry eng with a warranty. plus a core
charge. I wanted to keep my 5.3. I mite build
a 388 ci stroker out of it down the road.
The L9H was a perfect PNP. stock it's 403hp //415tq.
with a small VVT cam,90mm T/B and headers, a tune
it made that on that on the rear wheels. that's
a good start.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Make yourself a list of what's needed,
and where to get it from.
then start your shopping.

·
Member's Technical crew
4,266 Posts
Yeah a custom harness isn't needed in this case. You can even reflash your stock computers, just stick with a 58x gen 4 motor. If you get dod, don't worry just leave it unplugged! Or delete it. If you get vvt you can retain it buy using a 2010 v8 pcm, they are different so don't flash a 2010 vvt file into your 09. You can easily delete vvt as well, if you want more can lift. You'd need to order your v8 harness accordingly as well. And only a 2009 harness would be plug and play. Just remember the factory v8 Harness isn't that pretty might want a cover like a tbss?

Yup just swap Input shafts, bell, and convertor, maybe a shift kit, for good measure and your good to go!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So I have finally purchased a motor, L92 6.2 out of a 2007 Escalade. I have also got my CP motor mounts. Next step is to figure out what I am going to do for a wiring harness. I was planning on having CP build my harness but i keep hearing that a factory V8 harness would work since my truck is a 2009. Any advice?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts