Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I lifted my truck on 2" shackles a year ago and put skyjacker 7000 in the rear because I'm cheap. They ride fine but they suck on bumpy roads as they recoil slowly. (It feels like the bed is going to shoot in the air and break off as soon as the road turns gravel and I hit some bumps).

Anyways Ive been doing research and I'm leaning towards the bilsteins for the old s-10s. But I don't honestly give a shit whats a better shock, from guys with experience whats the softest? Ranchos, Monroe, Bilsteins, other? I'd like to go monotube but then again I also don't really care. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Re: Which are softer? Rancho, Bilstein, Monroe ext..

i've ran bilsteins, loved them. i am running rancho 9000s now. bilsteins were tits, and so are these adjustables. but if the bilsteins were adjustable i'd go with them. They'd probably be softer than these.

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Part of the problem too is the shackles. You're changed the geometry of the arch. I have shackles and from the moment I pulled out of my driveway I've been dissatisfied with the rebound action.
I have only changed shackles and my suspension is totally different - therefore indicating it is not necessarily the result of the shocks you've installed.

If I hit a decent enough bump, exaggerated I'd say it feels like the rear end is about to be launched on rebound. It the result of modifying the suspension design.....I wish it were different but I also know that it's not stock therefore I don't expect it to feel like stock.

I had Nitro 7000's in the past on another vehicle and never had complaints with them. If that is worth any value considering the shock may have undergone a complete overhaul in those years.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
I love my bilsteins I have now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part of the problem too is the shackles. You're changed the geometry of the arch. I have shackles and from the moment I pulled out of my driveway I've been dissatisfied with the rebound action.
I have only changed shackles and my suspension is totally different - therefore indicating it is not necessarily the result of the shocks you've installed.
I've always heard shackles are smoother but would AAL would be better?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
That's probably a tough one and meant to be answered by those who have used both on the same truck.

The other truck I lifted was a full 4" Rancho lift (F-150) which used the AAL for the rear. It was a more springy feel and was a little bit stiffer than it was before. But it was, as far as I can remember, steady throughout the travel.
Disclaimer, my truck had 170,000+ when I lifted it. So my springs weren't exactly in new condition.

My Canyon is lifted by shackle, and is my only shackle experience. I do know though that it changed the day I did the work.

Different shocks may help you out, but generally speaking the shock is meant to dampen the jounce. I don't know if the standard shock is valved to slow rebound in an unbalnced manner to the amount of compression it will see. That's all just an opinion of mine an not backed by suspension design experience. For example, custom built shocks, or shocks with rebound/compression control are designed to allow more/less rebound/compression dampening per need. Take a motorcycle for example, you can adjust for both rebound/compression to meet the needs.

Not a best suggestion, but maybe you can find cheap shocks and install them to see if it worsens what you experience now. Or get some from a junk yard. Don't leave them on, they will be to short for your lift but can be used for testing purposes on pavement without a lot of flexing.

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
I've always heard shackles are smoother but would AAL would be better?

i had shackles, when i ran just my tb crank, it was fine for me.
i added an aal along with the same shackles when i added my rancho kit.
it rides fine on road and rides decent at some moderate speed (20+) offroad but i always feel like the rear end is never really grounded if that makes sense. very spring boardy like someone mentioned. if your truck is older, i would go with the aal just to perk up the rear spring pack

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i always feel like the rear end is never really grounded if that makes sense.

Thats exactly how I feel and I think what 08Canyon said. I'm going to go make some measurements and I think I'm just going to go 1" shackle in the rear with bilsteins for stock height. Should correct some of the off geometry. If I decide to stay at 2 I'll throw an AAL and bilsteins on especially since I've been hauling around a couple of dirtbikes a lot lately. Thanks guys

1 - 9 of 9 Posts