Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is another noob question, but iv searched (on bith sites) and cant seem to find it.

i was about to order a bunch of led's to redo my cluster and all the dash lights. but i the ones i was going to get need to use resistors for 12V aplication, and i realy didnt want extra stuff to have to use in the cluster (i dont know how much space is in there, i havent taken it apart yet) and im also afraid any led i use for the cluster might be to small for the rest of the dash. which LEDs have you guy used for you clusters and dash, and is there one type of led that i can use in both, so i can just order a bunch of those?

thanks for the help.:355:

·
Registered
839 Posts
No resisters are needed for this, just solder in the led's and your golden.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Radio shack has them, but will cost you your left nut. They want like $5 for one blue LED! Check out unique-leds.com.

Here are the LED's for the gauges. They are not the brightest...but work fine for a regular cluster. I've seen several people use them with success. They are rated at 125mcd (for the blue). mcd is the luminicity or brightness of the LED.

Unique Leds High Quality hard to find LED and LED products with fare shipping and everyday low pricing - LEDS :: SMD LEDS :: PLCC2 Top Emitting Leds

Here is a link to the 3mm leds to use for the rest of the switches.

Unique Leds High Quality hard to find LED and LED products with fare shipping and everyday low pricing - LEDS :: 3mm LEDS

The resistor value you use will depend on what color you go with. You will have to look at the forward voltage and forward current and calculate the resistance. For my blue LED's I used 480 ohm resistors. For those without a EE degree here's a nifty calculator.

LED series parallel array wizard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts