Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's done it since i've had the truck. When I start it up, a puff of white (not blue) smoke comes out of the exhaust. It would happen like once a month, hot, cold, after sitting for a couple days, or after sitting for an hour. No correlations.

After offroading this past weekend, it's done it 7 times. Kind of embarassing.

Anyone know what it could be?

·
Registered
24 Posts
White smoke when first started is normal sometimes, because of condensation buildup, etc... but if white smoke continues beyond startup, or becomes frequent (as in your case), I would have it checked for an internal coolant leak, i.e., cracked head/blown head gasket.

Also, does it smell like fresh oil instead of burnt? This is another symptom of a bad gasket...how many miles are on your truck?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Well, if it's doing it pretty regularly it may be cause for concern. How big of a puff of smoke are we talking about, and how long does it last?

The dealership should be able to test to see if you've got coolant leaking into the cylinders pretty easily by testing for CO2 in the coolant. They basically just put a dye into your coolant that will change color if combustion gases are present, which would indicate a leak.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
It'd probably be worth getting it looked into. Are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, went up in july. i was hoping it would still be covered after the 3 year warranty thing or whatever....

a buddy of mine is gonna do that test for me and see if i got a leak...

cross your fingers.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,884 Posts
Let us know how it comes out.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Check your coolant level in the resevoir. Tell us if it was low. The exhaust should have a sweet smell to it if its burnin coolant.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The exhaust smells...clean. I don't know how to explain it. I've filled him up twice with the best gas and some fuel injector cleaner and it hasn't done it since last week...

The coolant level is fine, haven't noticed a change. I just rolled over 30k miles so I plan on taking the truck in to the dealer for a full work over. I'll have them check it out then.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
good luck going past 30k.. i had so many things go wrong after i hit 30k... hope things go good for ya

1 - 13 of 13 Posts