Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know one or two folks here have used a BFH to increase the clearance over the front tires, but who has actually replaced the inner fenders with trailer fenders or whatever?

How much work is this for someone who knows fab work?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
How much work is this for someone who knows fab work?
how much work is it? Not much. A sawzall and a few hours and they’ll be out. Very few people put inner wells back in, as it’s not that big of a deal. The one biggest problem is the battery. You can move it lower down off of the frame, or move it under the bed. If you use an optima you can mount it sideways which makes it easier if you ever need a jump, just run the jumper cables through the wheel well to connect.
Is removing your fenders something you are thinking of doing? Im guessing you are doing research so you can. It’s not hard, if you have some mechanical skills, and some common sense.
Most people get rid of the ABS pump and electrical for it, meaning one less thing to relocate and or make a bracket for once the inner fender is gone.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
.... oh and the term "tubbed" has nothing to do with removing the inner fender wells. the term means to cut into the firewall and make room for bigger wheels/tires. similiar to 'tubbing' the rear of a car for big tires, you 'tub' the front firewall..

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
how much work is it? Not much. A sawzall and a few hours and they’ll be out. Very few people put inner wells back in, as it’s not that big of a deal. The one biggest problem is the battery. You can move it lower down off of the frame, or move it under the bed. If you use an optima you can mount it sideways which makes it easier if you ever need a jump, just run the jumper cables through the wheel well to connect.
Is removing your fenders something you are thinking of doing? Im guessing you are doing research so you can. It’s not hard, if you have some mechanical skills, and some common sense.
Most people get rid of the ABS pump and electrical for it, meaning one less thing to relocate and or make a bracket for once the inner fender is gone.
Rick, here is one of the best thread of tubing or replacing the wheel wells here. http://www.355nation.net/forum/lowering/28233-tubbing-out-front-static-drop.html
Thanks much to you both.

I had already thought that relocating the battery would be a good thing, for handling in general.
Haven't decided whether I'd prefer in the bed (under my Snugtop tonneau) or under the bed on the frame.

No biggy there, 'cause if you choose one location and decided you weren't happy it wouldn't take much to change it.

I'd do that much first myself before taking it to anyone for the wheel-well mod.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.