Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Would you be interested enough to buy a kit?

• YES. I will buy it.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • SERIOUSLY Interested, but not 100%

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • maybe, but im not sure

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • im not sure, probably not

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • no, not at all

Votes: 8 19.0%
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
okay guys...i want to know in all seriousness. some of you might have noticed I've been asking alot of turbo related questions recently.. and I just talked to one of my buddies. I mentioned turboing my truck to him. He wants to run with the idea and we've already "mapped out" some of the boost piping/tubing and exhaust and how its going to be run...the general idea. He said to me, are there any turbo kits out for your truck? I said "no." So he said what about if once we got your kit done we made a few extra and sold them? I thought this would be an awesome idea, but heres the thing; Its going to depend on you guys mostly.... who here can say they would be 100% interested in buying a kit. The kit would probably be around 2500 dollars (this is a higher estimate, it will depend on how much it costs to get the pipes fabbed and such) and require tune and install with VERY slight fab work. The thing is this kit will not be 100% bolt on, AND it will be a semi-homemade kit.

Please vote and let me know If you would be interested enough to buy it.

the kit would obviously have no warranty, no tuning, and no install but would come with ALL NECESSARY PARTS AND I will document my install with a shitload of pictures and answer any questions you'd have.

if you vote please post and let us know why you decided what you did. and feel free to give suggestions

edited: this kit would include a BOV, Boost gauge, wastegate, intercooler and all associated piping fittings etc., the turbo, all exhaust pieces, possibly a heatshield, Fuel pressure regulator, (injectors and spark plugs if needed) and an air filter. The kit will use the stock manifold but possibly with some modification to it.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
wow then you expect alot... i mean no offense but 2500 for a full set up and a tune?.... well for one... theres no way we could tune you unless you came down to florida... and two we could send you a tune with the kit... but... you would need HPTuners or someone with it to upload it anyway and the tune wouldnt be your motor tuned...itd be mine so it would still probably need to be tweaked..... i believe that 2500 for a kit that will be pretty damn near bolt on (with som slight modification) if not bolt on is one hell of a deal... and econo... i dont see why this wouldnt work with a 4cylinder as well as it uses the stock exhuast manifold

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so no one is really interested in this kit eh? (not that i am THAT surprised)... maybe once i get the pictures coming and dynos and that more people will be interested

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
i would be all about it if i had 2500 kickin around. thats def not a bad price for everything you mentioned. i am too worried about reliability and whatnot at this point but in a few years i think im going to have a change of heart :) jsut my thoughts

·
Registered
845 Posts
For 2500 id expect the kit to come as bolt on and have a tune.
For 2500 I dont mind doing some MINOR mods. I do think it should be almost totally bolt-on for that kind of money.

so no one is really interested in this kit eh? (not that i am THAT surprised)... maybe once i get the pictures coming and dynos and that more people will be interested
Dont get me wrong, I'm interested. I was thinking about taking the easy way out for FI and spraying. Its the best bang for your buck but I'm open to your idea. What part of Florida are you in?

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For 2500 I dont mind doing some MINOR mods. I do think it should be almost totally bolt-on for that kind of money.

Dont get me wrong, I'm interested. I was thinking about taking the easy way out for FI and spraying. Its the best bang for your buck but I'm open to your idea. What part of Florida are you in?
i am in central about 30 minutes north of orlando

·
Registered
358 Posts
ive been wanting to do this to i just dont have money right now. i just got a new job though so if it works out count me in

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
well I will be in fl in a couple of months. I might be interested then.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would be all about it if i had 2500 kickin around. thats def not a bad price for everything you mentioned. i am too worried about reliability and whatnot at this point but in a few years i think im going to have a change of heart :) jsut my thoughts
it may not even come out to 2500... it all depends on how much all the parts and everything end up coming out to along with the fab work... Im in the process of the mach up of the piping for the kit right now... i want to "debut" the kit at turkey rod run.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
i'll be after i see the product and its all done.. hell i can use alittle more power in my Z71

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and the kit will be pushing 7-8psi

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
845 Posts
it may not even come out to 2500... it all depends on how much all the parts and everything end up coming out to along with the fab work... Im in the process of the mach up of the piping for the kit right now... i want to "debut" the kit at turkey rod run.
yea thats right. i can't wait to start seeing the project come together.

·
[MTS] Who is this guy?
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
from the slight mach up of the piping me and a buddy did the idea for exhaust -> turbo routing seems like it has potential. The idea to use the stock exahust manifold can go two ways. We can either set up a pipe to bolt to the flange of the manifold and do a J turn back towards the front or cut off right under the cat and do a simple 90ish degree bend (instead of a 180* J/U bend) and be in the same place. For sake of bolt on the J bend would probably be best, but it seem for sake of flow, the 90ish bend would be better (though i am not sure what the flow difference might be between the two bends) I am trying to keep bends, especially abrupt ones to a minimum. The benefit of using the stock manifold all the way to the flange is A. bolt on and B. Less cost for a turbo manifold...

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Any time you do a 90 bend it /really/ reduces flow. A 180 /really really bad/.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts