Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Factory Fresh
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i states did you do your own alarm system ? Im looking at the basics just wired to the dome light and a shock sensor. So im open to advice on whose done it and what alarm to look into.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
It depends on what you want. some systems use the factory horn as the alarm others come with their own siren. Id just look into a viper system. Everything is pretty simple. comes with a brain, led light, external antenna, siren, fuse, shock sensor. ext. everything is pretty much plugged into the brain. then you have to run a power wire to the battery, thats where you would install the fuse in line with the power wire. the you can run the sensor wire to your dome light or power locks wire if you have them. you would have to drill a hole prob in you a pillar for the led light or where ever you want it mounted. the siren gets mounted under the hood by the front grill. tun you have to find a spot for the antenna as well. you can locate the brain under the steering and go from there. I hope this helps a little lol

·
DK Moulds
2,012 Posts
I wired my viper alarm myself. Which had a remote start as well. It was pretty straight forward but a bit overwhelming at first.i.did not need half of the connections for my 24 pin connector..so once I eliminated all wires I didn't need it was a bit easier...solder all my connections...my interior was ripped out dash and all..so that made it much easier as it looked like a mess at one point . good luck.

edit.

|mobile|

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Yeah one of these day I need to do this....the remote start is a nice option for these nice toasty summer day.............and the range on them is so much better then the cheap POS GM remote keyless entry

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
I've done many alarms in the past. Helped a buddy do mine 9 years ago lol

As long as you know where to find the factory wires that correspond to the alarm system's diagram, you'll be fine. Any of the DEI branded alarms are easier to find. My personal brand preference is Audiovox/Prestige or Auto Page.

You can look up any vehicle to get your wiring locations here >>> Ready Remote™ | AutoCommand®

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
... My personal brand preference is Audiovox/Prestige or Auto Page.
Dan, why these two as compared for instance to Viper?

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Mainly for unique coding. I'm old school in my ways. I know that all alarms have the capability of millions of discrete codes. But, when you have a system that comes from a company that makes several lines (Viper is made by DEI who also makes Clifford, Avital, Python, Astral Start and a few more), who's to say the programming isn't duplicated? It also makes for an easier target by thieves because there are sooo many more of DEI's systems out on the street.

Stock car alarms/keyless entry systems are already being hacked

See how car thieves are using high tech devices to breaking in vehicles - YouTube

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Thanks for that..
You don't sleep much, do you?

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Sleep is for the weak!!! lol

I'm nocturnal. I typically operate on 4-5 hours of sleep. My brain is also running 100 mph right now as I prepare for a wedding shoot this weekend in Seattle.

·
US Army 19yrs and ......
45,284 Posts
Same here Dan

Read up about RFID hacking on new cars........it will make you want to go out and buy an old school car

·
Factory Fresh
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wired my viper alarm myself. Which had a remote start as well. It was pretty straight forward but a bit overwhelming at first.i.did not need half of the connections for my 24 pin connector..so once I eliminated all wires I didn't need it was a bit easier...solder all my connections...my interior was ripped out dash and all..so that made it much easier as it looked like a mess at one point . good luck.

edit.

|mobile|
i wasnt prepared for that lol

Whats an opinion on compustar ?

·
CALI BOSS
6,308 Posts
Compustar is good from what I hear. I have no personal experience with them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts