Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im new on this forum but not new to the Colorado i have a intro on the new member page. but i have spent last 6 months looking at carfax reports for 09-12 ZQ8 v8 Colorado's and 80% or more have BCM replacements listed or electrical repair's. many low mile ones had 3 and 4 owners. its just crazy seems like a bunch of these trucks had issues. now although not many listed on here there seems to be some type of issue associated with these trucks and the BCM. does anyone know why they are having this is issue or whats causing it? its just staggering when 8 out of 10 carfax reports show a dealer BCM replacement

im asking because id like to prevent needing one or ever having to replace mine.

TAI

picture of my truck for motivation

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
The electrical system on these trucks is a poor design. The switched negative ground on these trucks is shared only with Saturns.
My BCM was replaced within the first 3 months of owning the truck. It turned out the BCM was OK and that there was a problem that required the lower half of the fuse block to be replaced. I think dealers replace the BCM, when they don't know how to troubleshoot the actual problem.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The electrical system on these trucks is a poor design. The switched negative ground on these trucks is shared only with Saturns.
My BCM was replaced within the first 3 months of owning the truck. It turned out the BCM was OK and that there was a problem that required the lower half of the fuse block to be replaced. I think dealers replace the BCM, when they don't know how to troubleshoot the actual problem.
This is good info and with a couple of good additional grounds I have never seen one need replaced.
Also keep in mind that carfax is very very unreliable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't agree with carfax is unreliable statement as I have bought and sold hundreds of cars/trucks and was a buyer for Carmax and I find Carfax
To be to extremely reliable. Many many deals fall thru because of how accurate it is.

Either way there is ironically one currently on autotrader with a bcm replacement.

I'd like to put a list of preventive things that can be done so we don't need
To get bcm as a bandaid fix

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I like autocheck as well. With that, nothing beats the old fashion phone call to a dealer and asking what has been repaired under warranty. Some say they can't give you the info. Others give it freely. You can even call GM customer care and they can run the vin to see what has been done under warranty. I passed up on a black zq8 v8 due to multiple electrical warranty issues.

I am the 2nd owner of my v8 zq8 and I have not had any issues. The only thing that was ever done under warranty was a lamp replacement. I paid a little more than what I should have, but it was close and I saved the shipping charges I was considering on others. 3 months worth of searching yielded a happy ending.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Autocheck leaves out major accidents 7 times out
Of 10 that's why I liked it in the used car industry carfax
Is your enemy. I just sold a 08 Subaru sti I ran autocheck it was clean not a mark and guaranteed listed it online and guy came out and he ran carfax which showed a front end collision. I said carfax was wrong and he pulled
Police report showing it was over 5k in damage. Autocheck had nothing at all. Plus autocheck doesn't give dealer repair such as service or oil changes. Either way, I've been in auto business 20 yrs most people On here will buy 5-10 cars max in a lifetime at one point I was buying 40-50 a week. I personally owned well over 100 cars/trucks I'm speaking from actual experience in qty not just my experience with a few purchases.

Either way this thread is about fixing electrical gremlins.

I also looked at at least 25 trucks before settling on this one combination of owner/carfax/color/options/mileage all very important

·
Registered
604 Posts
Dang something else to possibly look forward to, lol.

83k miles, 5+ years and original BCM, knock on wood.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey jake f150 I live in manassas says your in Woodbridge were real close maybe we could meet up sometime. I'd like
To see what a truck with a tune is like.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Dang something else to possibly look forward to, lol.

83k miles, 5+ years and original BCM, knock on wood.
I'm @ 167,xxx on my 2004 ZQ8 and have the original BCM. I also have a few electrical gremlins that I have learned to live with over the last 9+ years of ownership.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well its started last night headlights would shut off randomly while driving at night, abs/TC/passlock light would flash on and then go out. did this many times while making my 6.5 hour drive home lastnight. only way to stop headlights was to turn them to the "on" position. so guys were these issues you had as well? i see someone listed fuse box connection? i cleaned and greased the passenger fender ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i still having some problems. radio does not turn off when door is opened. brakes will pulsate and security light will flash for a second while driving. i have since added additional grounds to the stupid 18g wire factory used this stop the alternator belt from squeaking must have had been calling for max amperage. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
i still having some problems. radio does not turn off when door is opened. brakes will pulsate and security light will flash for a second while driving. i have since added additional grounds to the stupid 18g wire factory used this stop the alternator belt from squeaking must have had been calling for max amperage. any ideas?
Had a similar problem on radio not going off on door open. Switched driver side door switch with passenger side. Problem moved to passenger side. Bad switch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts