Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
The cam timing chain tensioner is operated by the engine oil pressure. It is not uncommon for the to be chain rattle on start up esp. with a high mile truck..
Luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mine is not, even at just over 255,000 miles.
I remember a 1963 Rambler American that you would have to pause your conversations the first minute or two, especially at cold start up - with ether, of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My engine was noisy on start up, it was the belt tensioner. I replaced that and its quiet again. Easy way to diagnose if it the tensioner is to remove the belt and start the engine, just don't run for too long the water pump won't be turning. If there is no noise on start up, Its time for a new tensioner

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just figured they're like the U2 spy plane. Rattles and leaks on take off, but at cruising speed and altitude everything seems to tighten right up..:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why is the I-5 motor, so 'noisy' at the 'first start - up of the day???
are you talking about the noise for a few seconds at initial start up?
that's most likely the valve train.. oil needs to get up there from the oil pan on start up, so its dry for a second until the oil lubes it up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine was a lot worse before I started using Chevron/Texaco 93 gas. I think it was more the 93 octane than the brand. I also use a 20 ounce bottle of techron during each OCI.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2004, mine has been doing that for several years now. Motor is still running strong. Sounds like it may be a common thing for our in-line engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have a video of the noisy engine, I really don't know what it sounds like, as I am currently having my manifold repaired as it had a good sized crack which made the engine "tick" at startup.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine is not, even at just over 255,000 miles.
I remember a 1963 Rambler American that you would have to pause your conversations the first minute or two, especially at cold start up - with ether, of course.
Blast from the past on the Rambler. My parents had a Rambler Station wagon . . . I don't recall it being loud, but I was probably 7 or 8 at the time.

My truck has less than 67K on it, and it is pretty noisy on a cold start up. Doesn't last long. Talked to a guy a few years ago that had a 2004 i5 since new and he said his rattled like that when cold from the get-go.

My overall understanding is it's nothing to be overly concerned about.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Does anyone have a video of the noisy engine, I really don't know what it sounds like, as I am currently having my manifold repaired as it had a good sized crack which made the engine "tick" at startup.
It's close to the sound of a hand full of BB's in a tin can, but a deeper tone. At least that's as close as I can describe mine. I don't notice it in the summer much.

If I get a chance I'll try and record it next time I start it . . . turned cold here again.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My first car was a '63 Rambler American! My dad bought it new in '63 and gave it to me when I got my license in '76.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My engine was noisy on start up, it was the belt tensioner. I replaced that and its quiet again. Easy way to diagnose if it the tensioner is to remove the belt and start the engine, just don't run for too long the water pump won't be turning. If there is no noise on start up, Its time for a new tensioner
Exactly!! The tensioner! Told my mechanic that - I'm a woman. No that's not it! After putting $600 into it, the mechanic finally hear the noise at the morning start. Wow!! It is the tensioner!!!
So I'm in at $1100. Tensioner replaced! Throttle body replaced!
Can't remember everything "repaired or replaced "!! Honestly don't want to look at the bill again!!! Good luck!! Be glad you're doin it yourself!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts