Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Dashcam and its powered by a 12v socket.

I think it says it draws .5A

How long would it be ok to leave plugged in without starting the truck?

Will the extra drain be insignificant or could it be too much extra wear on the battery?

·
Premium Member
19,139 Posts
From your description, you can plug and unplug this thing, right? (making sure I am reading that right)

If so, why not just unplug it every night?

I would say that it would be similar to leaving a radar detector on. If you start the truck every day, I am sure it won't be enough draw to do much at all. However, if you leave the truck sit with it plugged in for a week or more, I could see issues showing itself...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can unplug it and plug it back in, but I would rather hard wire it so my 2 12v sources are still useable.

I would wire a switch in to power it off if I want.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
If the 2015 is anything like the 1st gen, wouldn't it sense the power draw and kill the power after 20 minutes just like leaving a light on?

You can probably probe the fuse panel for a ignition only power source and put in an add a fuse to that slot to hard wire it so that you don't have to use a switch. It would turn off and on as you turn the truck off and on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking about running it to shut off with the truck, but then it will shut off if I get pulled over, and one reason I wanted the dash cam was to at least give me audio recording if I get stopped.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
I think so, but I don't know for sure. you would have to test it. Maybe someone else knows with certainty.

Edit: Here is what i found searching google about the rundown protection.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/131076-battery-run-down-protection/

Maybe if you did an add a circuit on the courtesy lamp circuit, then it would allow it to remain on for a traffic stop, but would allow it to turn off after 10 minutes of ignition being off and power being drained. But then you wouldnt be able to use the interior lights after the cutoff until you restarted the truck to reset the protection. If i am thinking things through accurately...

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
My '05 power outlets stay on constantly.

·
Super Moderator
1,881 Posts
My '05 power outlets stay on constantly.
^^^^ so does my 06 use it to charge my phone while im at work
Yea, i concur. I forgot to edit that on my last post when I edited it to include the link. Only way I can see getting away from a switch would be to add a circuit on the Cargo Lamp fuse.

Below is a link to the 2015 Owners Manual. See section 10-34 through 10-40. F07 (Cargo Lamp)looks like the ideal spot to use the add a circuit. Again, using it will allow 10 minutes of use after you shut off the ignition, but when the power drain protection kicks in and cuts that circuit, then you wont be able to use it until you restart the truck to reset the circuit.

I still may be missing something and you should consult someone with more electronic experience than myself. @Supermodulation

2015 Manual: http://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...ls and Videos/02_pdf/2k15colorado1stPrint.pdf

·
Retired and Sleeping Late
337 Posts
If it helps I've left my dome lights on for a full 24 hour period (accidentally) more than a few times, never had a starting problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts