Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if a turbo off a supra will work on our trucks since the engines are somewhat similar?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Depends on the compressor map. The 2ZZ motor was a 3.0L I believe.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
i though you could use pretty much any turbo its just the piping and boost levels that need to be considered

·
Registered
563 Posts
i though you could use pretty much any turbo its just the piping and boost levels that need to be considered
a turbo too small wont get you enough boost and a turbo too big will cause turbo lag but will bring higher boost if you can get it to spool.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So is that a yes or a maybe? just wondering seems like all you might need to change is the piping and other usuall stuff like the headers and down pipe but you could still use the same intercooler as well right?

·
Registered
364 Posts
yes this is true

a turbo too small wont get you enough boost and a turbo too big will cause turbo lag but will bring higher boost if you can get it to spool.
and yes this is true

turbo size has nothing to do with engine size, all a turbo is, is a wind/gas powered vacuum. It takes your exhaust gases and spools up the turbo which creates suction on the other side. Depending on the size of the turbo depends on the amount of power, but with power comes lag. A bigger turbo will suck more air, but with bigger means heavier so it takes more to spool it. Trust me i know first hand that turbo lag is a bitch. If your turbo doesnt spool till about 3800-4000 and when you shift it drops your RPMs down to like 3200 then you will notice a huge difference in power loss until you get those 600 RPMs back.

I've done a few turbo set-ups in my time, if you have any ?s hit me up

·
Registered
364 Posts
So is that a yes or a maybe? just wondering seems like all you might need to change is the piping and other usuall stuff like the headers and down pipe but you could still use the same intercooler as well right?

you can turbo ANYTHING you just have to have a custom manifold, custom piping, i would go aftermarket intercooler to be on safe side, bigger injectors, reflash you computer, boost gauge is always a plus, boost controller makes things a little easier, if the turbo doesnt have an internal wastegate youll need to get an external, and you need a blow off valve.

Turbos are an exact science, too big can be just as bad as too small, intercoolers are to space out the are and let it cool off before it gets forced through the throttle body, (cooler air is denser air, there for more oxygen molecules which means more power) this is why you see alot of people putting intercooler sprayers on cuz it "freezes the intercooler making it even colder air. But to big of an intercooler while just put lag in your process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just to throw in my two cents. You could put in a supra turbo anything is possable with time and money . But you are going to have to change out your piping such as headers, down pipe, and intercooler like you were saying. One high expense item will be your headers due to the fact (as far as I know) that they don’t make turbo systems for our truck. I would suggest getting a double stack same side intercooler. The smart thing to do would be to keep it around 5-10 psi with a manual or electric boost control. Running between 5-10 psi you’re in a good range to run good boost with less lag. If you’re wanting to run at 10psi or higher you’re looking at needing to change out your studs and head gaskets or you will destroy your motor. Another idea is to look into a Pro-Charger which cuts out your lag time due to the fact that it’s a belt driven system. Hope that helped some.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys thats great info! :group2: well hopefully they'll make custom header for the ol 355 anyone got a turbo Yet? Or got one in the works?

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Just to throw in my two cents. You could put in a supra turbo anything is possable with time and money . But you are going to have to change out your piping such as headers, down pipe, and intercooler like you were saying. One high expense item will be your headers due to the fact (as far as I know) that they don’t make turbo systems for our truck. I would suggest getting a double stack same side intercooler. The smart thing to do would be to keep it around 5-10 psi with a manual or electric boost control. Running between 5-10 psi you’re in a good range to run good boost with less lag. If you’re wanting to run at 10psi or higher you’re looking at needing to change out your studs and head gaskets or you will destroy your motor. Another idea is to look into a Pro-Charger which cuts out your lag time due to the fact that it’s a belt driven system. Hope that helped some.
actually I think there are 1 or 2 kits out there and the one kit they said they "may"produce just the turbo header manifold if you want to build your own setup

but the kits were pretty expensive

1 - 20 of 21 Posts