Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I have a Wilwood mc4 caliper I'm gonna play with. Tundra rotors match our bolt pattern and have a center bore large enough to fit over the hub without machining.
I got a quote for the aluminum rotor hat blanks. They would be $36 for each 10x10x3/4" blank. I'll post the machining quote once I get that.

·
I'm "That Guy"
1,185 Posts
I have a Wilwood mc4 caliper I'm gonna play with. Tundra rotors match our bolt pattern and have a center bore large enough to fit over the hub without machining.
I got a quote for the aluminum rotor hat blanks. They would be $36 for each 10x10x3/4" blank. I'll post the machining quote once I get that.
I posted on IG a bit back that I figured out an adapter to use silverado rotors front and rear. 2 pc direct replacement setups are common in the off road industry for them already.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I rotated the calipers to the leading position and am working on mounting up my parking brake caliper. I'll post more when it's done. If you want to do this, you need to flip the tsm brackets and use a 16" -3 hose.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Is anyone still interested in this project? What would the brackets and hats have to cost for it to be worth it for people to buy a set? I am going to a shop this week to get a quote for V2 of the hat and bracket to get machined.

I'm looking for shops around Rhode Island, if anyone has the hookup that would be rad. I will probably end up having two sets made as either a backup or in case someone wants a set in the future.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Count me in. Would the caliper brackets work with OE style calipers as well instead of the Wilwoods?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
How much did you have to pay for it last time? I might have someone that I know can do it. It's a company that cnc machines aircraft parts.
I think I paid 273 each to have them made by Coleman Racing. I might have found a local shop willing to work with me on having V2 made. It would be nice to have a physical location to go to instead of completely through email.

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
I think I paid 273 each to have them made by Coleman Racing. I might have found a local shop willing to work with me on having V2 made. It would be nice to have a physical location to go to instead of completely through email.
Once you get the final design on file, I can always see what they would charge to make it. To see if they would charge less. Their overhead is light and they have a nice Huffman CNC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Love those big rotors!
I built acex’s Big brake kit years ago.
I’m building these for my zq8.
6061-t6 alloy does not like to stay heat treated when it goes above 350*f. Only 6075 or 2024 alloy can take the HEAT.
Are your hats cut from a bar or out of plate? Bar or forged blanks have the correct grain structure.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Love those big rotors!
I built acex’s Big brake kit years ago.
I’m building these for my zq8.
6061-t6 alloy does not like to stay heat treated when it goes above 350*f. Only 6075 or 2024 alloy can take the HEAT.
Are your hats cut from a bar or out of plate? Bar or forged blanks have the correct grain structure.
I had Coleman racing make them, they make a lot of hats. I don't know if they use bar or plate. I'd be interested in a set if you end up making hats/brackets

·
Registered
37 Posts
Alright! I’m down to get a hat/caliper bracket kit available.
I was buying the 8” 7075 aluminum from abc supply, now closed.
Finding a supplier will be biggest hurdle.
I only paid $60 for the 2 hat blanks.
They are nearly 1” thick, to allow full thread ingagement with those 6 12mm-1.25mm hub bolts.
My rotors are Coleman.
I use to work for globalwest suspension, and they used Coleman with good success.
These be the bolts.
My cnc mill, hopefully up and running soon!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 81 Posts