Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for ideas here.
My wiper delay has been screwing up for a while now. On all delay times it will run 4 swipes correctly but the 5 it will stop the blade after moving it an inch, then after the next time delay it will swipe correctly for the next 3 or 4 then balk again.
I had the BCM scanned with a tech 2 and no code stored, but you could see the power shut off when it balked. I had a relay cover off and watched the switch off at the start of the swipe, if I held the relay closed it would just run like it was on low.
Grounds are good, battery is good, relays have been cleaned and or exchanged,
I have even cleaned the fuse block ( for another issue ). Cleaned and lubed BCM to harness, and the ign. and multi function connector.
I wonder IF the wiper motor is sending a parked signal to the BCM stopping the swipe. I doubt that it is the Multi function switch as all other functions of the switch work fine. And by the diagram Low speed would be affected too.
Any Ideas???
And getting a new truck is not a helpful suggestion.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
If you're experiencing multiple electrical issues, the first thing to do on these trucks is to clean up the grounds under the hood. There's one on the passenger side inner fender between the overflow/washer fluid tank and the breather housing. Loosen the bolt with a 10mm wrench and sand the mounting surface a little. Get it nice and clean and you may want to crack open that black plastic housing and check all the connections inside. Make sure everything is clean and tight and bolt it back nice and snug. There's another one on the other side just like it between the battery and the ABS "stuff". Doe the same thing with this one. If everything inside that black plastic housing is nasty and corroded, I'd put ring terminals on all of the wires and bolt them all to the fender. Some wires are pretty small and you can pair some of those up in one ring terminal. They're all grounds and they all go to the same place. If that doesn't take care of it, I'd replace the wiper motor.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank for your comment but my grounds are all good. I even cleaned the one under the Passengers seat by the BCM.
The wiper delay is my only issue.
It is rather odd that the power shut down after the first swipe at the relay with the relay and wiper motor disconnected. With the the wiper relays in It only will power the wiper plug for one swipe on any of the low or delay settings. On high the high side will continue to run till it is switched off..

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This problem is solved!
There was a burnt contact inside the wiper motor transmission.
I removed the wiper motor plastic cover and found on the main gear there is a brass contact pad that contacts 2 tabs. The inner most contact pad had a burnt dot which I removed and then polished both sides of the pad with steel wool and some contact cleaner. (That what I had at hand.) Silicon-ed the cover back in place and it seems to be fixed. Now for some rain to to 100% prove it.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
This problem is solved!
There was a burnt contact inside the wiper motor transmission.
I removed the wiper motor plastic cover and found on the main gear there is a brass contact pad that contacts 2 tabs. The inner most contact pad had a burnt dot which I removed and then polished both sides of the pad with steel wool and some contact cleaner. (That what I had at hand.) Silicon-ed the cover back in place and it seems to be fixed. Now for some rain to to 100% prove it.
Any pics of the wiper motor guts? I’d like to see how it’s built.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Glad you found the problem.

What I can't understand is why the wipers are on the RAP circuit.
It'd make sense if the wiper controls were smart enough to park the wiper when you stop the engine, but instead the wipers just keep running until you switch them off or the RAP time expires and shuts down. Pretty retarded that you switch the engine off and the wipers keep running.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WV Native.
Sorry I did not take pics. I thought of it but was rushing to finish before I lost the the day light. Youtube, Jeep or GM wiper motor repairs there are several.
Some one here has a write up (no pics.) on taking one apart.
Be careful taking the plastic cover off it is sealed on with a glue, if you break the cover it will be BAD. Clean anything brass that is not bright till it is. Remove any black spots that you see. Be mindful of the ground contact on the side of the cover, that is the motor ground, don't get your sealant over it. Seal the cover back in place to keep the water out.
I wish I has ohm metered the burnt contact so I knew weather it was Park signal or Ground for future reference. Park and ground are connected in the park position.
LUCK

1 - 8 of 8 Posts