Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i never had experience with them but i always thought they go in the power wire between the battery and amp, but when i got one it came with this:

can you wire it either way, is one better than the other, or am i just stupid?

also would their be any diffrence between wiring like the one above or like this: (notice the ground)

i dont think it would matter but like i said, i dont have any experiece with these, so any help is apreciated.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
that should be the same way to ground.. no matter what that wire is hitting ground.. doesn't look any diff.. i don't know much about audio.. but i mess with wire alot.. no matter what that wire is hitting ground..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Generally you want them close to the beginning of the power supply chain, and some recommend not fusing them, but it's not that big of a deal where exactly you put it, as long as it's got a large wire feeding it. I used a position off of my distribution block to keep it fused and used a really high value fuse so it could pass plenty of current.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Yea before i got my first capacitor i too used to think that it went inline between the power wires... guess not. Shouldn't matter which way you ground it so long as its a good ground.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Capacitors are not meant to be wired in line. When I had one if my last car ( damn I need to put it in my truck ) I had it wired so that the ground from the capacitor went to the body, the positive from the capcitor went to a distribution block.

The distribution block had a 4-gauge power wire coming from the battery ( fused with a 200 amp resetable circuit breaker ) into it and then the amps were fed from the distribution block with only the fuses actually on the amp.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, at least not the capacitor in this example. Other caps (like for crossovers) can be in-line. But I think Turbizzy didn't mean literally in-line (in series - with the positive hooked to +12V and the negative hooked to the amp's input which would be REALLY BAD - DO NOT DO). Smoothing caps like this are wired in parallel with the load (amps).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for everything guys, i figured the ground would be fine cause i work with wires a lot to, but iv never messed with a cap.

with the positive hooked to +12V and the negative hooked to the amp's input which would be REALLY BAD - DO NOT DO)
thats what i would off done if it didnt have any instructions :true:

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Well, at least not the capacitor in this example. Other caps (like for crossovers) can be in-line. But I think Turbizzy didn't mean literally in-line (in series - with the positive hooked to +12V and the negative hooked to the amp's input which would be REALLY BAD - DO NOT DO). Smoothing caps like this are wired in parallel with the load (amps).
Right. Before i actually installed my first cap i thought it was wired in series to the amp's power feed. Then i found out its actually wired in parallel, tht makes sense since the cap is actually just basically a battery thats meant to take abuse so the car's charging system doesn't.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts