Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. I was wondering if any of you with a z71 crew cab might be able to get a measurement for me. I'm looking for the distance between the front leaf spring hangar, and the rear shackle hangar. Center of each hole in a straight line. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
As gway's link showed that all model spring packs are the same length, I think that the mounts in the truck are all the same and the differences would be the spring pack capacity configurations. That could be an incorrect assumption.

With that said, I measured my truck, a 2011 Z85. It is impossible to "straight line" measure with the axle assembly installed/truck sitting on ground. I transferred the centerline of the mount points to the concrete pad, where my truck its parked, using a plumb bob. The measurement I got was 50".

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Basically I'm trying to figure out if gm changed the spring hangars at all between sub models or years. Reason being is I went and got a new pair of leafs today off of a z71 crew cab colorado, brought em home, and tried bolting them up but it sends my shackle into an angle I don't really like. Common sense would say that gm didn't change the hangars since leaf springs for all 3 sub models are the same distance from center pin to eyelets but just trying to figure out my issue. Thanks again

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe they were already "flattened out" from heavy loads? My shackle angle is 20°± with no load in the bed.

Sorry, should have clarified. By bad shackle angle I mean they are angled towards the front of the truck about 30 degrees at full droop.

Now I don't really know about stock leaf spring geometry but I've seen long travel leafs get set up and those are always shackle vertical at droop and shackle somewhere around 45-60 degrees angles back at compression. I'm just concerned about the shackle wanting to rotate the opposite way if I ever end up dropping out the rear end and snapping a spring.

Really just confused as to why stock springs are giving me issues

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Mines the same. Vertical at full droop or close to it. Pick up a set of 73-87 k5 or k10 springs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts