Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new to the forum here. (check out my introduction thread!!) I have a 2wd z85. i'm looking into a 2-.2.5" lift, with 31 x 10.5 r15 tires.
Now, I've hear many conflicting things here. What is the easiest, and cheapest (student budget) way to lift this truck? thinking shackles for sure in the back, but unclear on coil spacers in front. Heard about use of shims that are necessary or ball joints will shear off idk...
I have an abundance of tools and knowledge available to me, and am not against fabrication!! thanks everyone.

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are basically 4 ways to lift the front of a coil spring truck.(not talking body lifts or custom)
1. 3 inch lift spindles(fab tech, or eBay knockoffs)
2. 2.5 inch Coil spring spacer(many companys make them, but Suspension Maxx has the best quality)
3. 2 inch Springtech coils.
4. 5 inch lift spindles( only made by CST)

Rear: (same for all 355's)
1. Add a leaf(you can stack aals for additional lift)
2. Shackles
3. Spring over axle conversion

Now with that being said, the cheapest and easiest to install would be coil spacers on the front, and for the rear the cheapest would be the procomp AAL, but shackles are easier to install and only cost a little more. And since you say you can fabricate, if you can make your own shackles you might be able to save some $$$ that way.

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the ball joints breaking after the coil spacer lift.(at least on a 355)
Suspension maxx's coil spacer kit comes with ball joint spacers to help with the angle of the ball joint after the lift, but I think that's mainly for alignment reasons.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet Colorado/ 2018 GMC Canyon
1,169 Posts
I have a 2wd z85 with ready lift 2.5inch with 2 inch shackle in the rear. Running 31x10.5x15. At the time that was the easiest and cheapest. I haven't had any problem with the lift in the 2+ years I have had it installed.
Pic for reference.
ImageUploadedByAG Free1421038921.049888.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
One of the most easy lifts on the market. 1 box and you get all you need to get those 2.5" lift on the front and 1.5" on the back (sits level)

Colorado and Canyon Lift Kit

just be sure to order the one for the 2wd coil over suspension kit (pictured above).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That readylift kit looks like exactly what I want. However.. As I said earlier I'm on a student budget here, and 400+shipping is steep for me. I really won't be 'off reading' or wheeling at all, just want a safe a cheap way of gaining some height. Will a coil spacer be okay by itself, with no shims/spacers etc?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
My advice is if you want to mess with the suspension, you better do it right. yo don´t wanna have a broken or loose part going 60 on the highway.

Safety first.

If you cannot afford a kit or something reliable, just take it easy, save some money and get it by xmas

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet Colorado/ 2018 GMC Canyon
1,169 Posts
Went back through pictures. I have had this lift almost 5 years, didn't realize it had been that long. The price has really went up on those kits. Don't think I payed over $250 for mine. I did not realize that they are $400 now. 08canyon is right, body lift would be cheaper, but a little harder to install. In my opinion.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for your help guys, so you don't think I could get away with only coilover spacers? ie: no shims etc?

·
Registered
52 Posts
thank you for your help guys, so you don't think I could get away with only coilover spacers? ie: no shims etc?
The CST coil spring spacer doesn't come with shims for the balljoint, but its only 1 inch, and the difference won't be very noticeable. The suspensionmaxx spacer kit is 250$. Here's a link:

Chevy Colorado 2WD Leveling Kit ? SuspensionMAXX ? Adjustable

I remember someone saying that they used this kit, and it is identical to the readylift, but only 120$.

Steel Front 2 5" Rear 1 5" Lift Kit w Shock Extender Colorado Canyon 04 12 2WD | eBay

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
could anybody provide a photo of the spacer kit on the front? more specifically the shim/balljoint spacer?

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
I do not know the differences in the 4x4 vs 2x4 in terms of a ball joint spacer. However for the 4x4, we either flip the ball joint on the UCA and/or install a spacer. It brings back a tad of travel and allows the truck to be aligned within factory specs after lifting.

Perhaps the spacers is necessary to align properly. Again, I do not know the purpose of the spacer in a 2wd.

I agree with what was above...if you find yourself cutting corners to make your lift affordable it's probably a better option to wait a few months to save up a few more pennies. Going cheap up front could end up costing more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
The CST coil spring spacer doesn't come with shims for the balljoint, but its only 1 inch, and the difference won't be very noticeable. The suspensionmaxx spacer kit is 250$. Here's a link:

Chevy Colorado 2WD Leveling Kit ? SuspensionMAXX ? Adjustable

I remember someone saying that they used this kit, and it is identical to the readylift, but only 120$.

Steel Front 2 5" Rear 1 5" Lift Kit w Shock Extender Colorado Canyon 04 12 2WD | eBay
holy shit, the second one is just an exact copy of the ready lift one... an angry ex worker trying to get some payback??? LOL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks all, i'm going for the ebay readylift copy, with an aal because my leafs have sagged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great replys.. Was already looking into the ready lift, but wasn't able to find one for the 2wd. Will be checking into the ebay knockoff as well!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts