Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

Project CanoRado - 200K!!!

32K views 333 replies 40 participants last post by  Flatman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, figured since a lot of things will be coming together soon I should put together a build thread for my truck. Haven't really thought of a good name for it since I really don't know where I am going with it. Maybe you guys will come up with something relative to where it's going haha.

So, on to the truck.

Its a 2005 GMC Canyon. I got it my Senior year of High School as a college truck. I found the truck doing AutoTrade searches on the internet to find trucks in my price range. I found this particular beauty in Alexandria, MN at Certified Auto Sales. I have got some dealership pictures back at home and will upload right here (next week):

It had 144,xxx miles and had two previous owners and then it was sent to auction, when Certified Auto Sales bought it. It had a bed extender, line-x bedliner, aluminum running boards, onstar, 6 speaker audio, 6 disk changer, 31x10.50R15 Nexan Roadian MT's (dealership put these on!), and the 3.5L. Everything was bone stock, and from what I can tell it was a highway commuter.

My Dad and I drove out there on a Friday morning at the wee hours of the morning. I was sick and slept most of the way there. After test driving the pickup I instantly fell in love, having never driven one. I knew I always wanted one, after owning a 98 S10 with 200k on it as well. I drove it home, still sick one of the most miserable drives I have ever had, and it got 21 MPG on the trip home.

My Dad and I have always been in to repairing vehicles together, and it is our main form of hanging out together. We got the truck home and diagnosed a few problems with the truck.
  • Faulty fuel pressure regulator
  • Clogged vent tube to gas tank (overflow at pumps)
  • Leaking water pump
  • U-Joints
One thing to note about this truck, is damn near everything is original on it. No greasable zerks, no scrapyard yellow marker on anything, and everything is painted and stained the same color.

All of those things have been replaced/fixed and now on to the MODS :D

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Project I'll Figure Out a Name Later

Performance
  • Homemade CAI
  • Remote Tune from SuperMod
  • NGK Iridium Plugs
  • SuperSparks
Suspension
  • 2.5" Rough Country
  • AAL's
  • Ball Joint Flip - 1/4" Spacer
  • Rancho RS5000 Shocks all around
Exterior
  • Debadged Tailgate and "Offroad" stickers
  • Blue "trim" on headlights and DRL's
  • SPEC-D tuning Halo and DRL's
  • Rockstar 20 inch rims with 305/50R20 - Approximately 32" - Summer
  • 33x12.50R15 tires on stock rims - Winter
  • BakFlip G2 Tonneau Cover - Lined with Line-X
  • Front and Back bumpers lined with Line-X
  • 7.5% Rear Tint 20% front and brow
Interior
  • Sony GT90BT Double Din Stereo
  • LED Gauges
  • LED Window Switches
  • LED HVAC
  • LED 4WD
  • LED Map, Cargo, and Dome
  • LED Footwells
  • Homemade Phone holder
  • 300W crappy amplifier, powering doors
  • RAP Stereo Mod - bypass BCM

And now for some old and new pictures (from oldest to newest)

So basically first thing I did was put on the BakFlip G2 cover and the Spec-D headlights/DRLS. Mine were badly faded.

Cold Air Intake

Next I did a homemade high four mod.

Next was LED clusters :)

2.5" Rough Country and Rancho RS5000 Shocks

Testing it, of course.

Volkswagon MKIV Needles - Scraped off red paint

Cooper S/T Discover 33x12.50R15

Testing, of course :)

AAL's Before and After

Painted grille black. Emblem anodized blue, anodized blue gauge bezel, black interior plastics, anodized blue "trim" on headlights and drls, Line-X bumpers, and cover

Switchbacks with Relay mods, LED fogs, blinking fog mod

Rockstar 20 inch rims! Running 305/50R20 Cooper Zeon MT's

Grille swap with @ryley911 painted black, emblem anodized blue, LOTSA Clear!

Debadged and Painted intake tube and cover BLUE

I LOVE IT :D

#3 · (Edited)
Re: Project I'll Figure Out a Name Later

Upcoming Mods:

Center Caps for my Rockstars (back in Pierre)

20/30 Satin Powdercoating for the rims from Joe's Sandblasting (gathering funds)

Looking in to a Rancho lift kit and a SOA possibly...(dont expect this to happen soon, collegelife)

#5 ·
Re: Project I'll Figure Out a Name Later - PIC HEAVY WARNING

Nice work on the truck! I liked the meatier tires and I really like what you did with the VW needles.
Thank you!

I really like the tires too, so I am going to drive on these 305/50's until they are bald. I wanna keep the miles off the good tires, because God knows I can't afford to put new tires on 20" rims :ugh:

VW needles are by far my favorite mod. Everyone on here mainly sticks with H3, Extreme, Stock needles, but the pin hole is all that really matters when fitting different needles. The VW needles fit perfectly without modification. PLUS, they are a clear lens with paint, so you can scratch off the paint and paint them whatever color you want and they will glow.

#6 ·

Great job so far! The needles definitely stand out from others I've seen in our trucks. Looks great and love the use of colour throughout your truck, keep it up!

#7 ·

Great job so far! The needles definitely stand out from others I've seen in our trucks. Looks great and love the use of colour throughout your truck, keep it up!
Thank you! I enjoy painting and taking things apart

#10 ·
#15 ·

nice man. i like the blue. now get some ssk in that bad ass interior, lol
Hey hey, I am ALWAYS open to donations :D

#16 ·

Really like the needles!
Seems to be a common theme!!! I would do a how to, but they are no different to put on than any other needle you can buy.

#17 ·

OP updated everyone with the new grille and HDR function on my new HTC M8 Windows Phone

#19 ·

Interesting, why the bowtie?

I've been struggling with differentiating my GMC with colorados while keeping badging to a bare minimum.

I know different strokes for different folks, but the chevy/gm cross made me double take. It does look great though, it looks like its got much more metallic to it than the old gmc logo.

#20 ·

Interesting, why the bowtie?

I've been struggling with differentiating my GMC with colorados while keeping badging to a bare minimum.

I know different strokes for different folks, but the chevy/gm cross made me double take. It does look great though, it looks like its got much more metallic to it than the old gmc logo.
I honestly just think the Chevy grilles look better imo. I want to debadge the tailgate and do something cool with the canyon badges on the doors too.

I can vary how much metallic shows by how thick I make the blue coat. The paint is designed to be somewhat translucent so that the metallic case can done through. I did 2 coats of blue and 5 coats of clear, and I think the results are what I wanted.

I'm like being different, never seen anyone paint trim around the lights and I thought it would look good so I went for it.

I like hearing everyone's thoughts on the truck, keep em coming!

#22 ·

Moar pics everyone! Washed it up, finally and I am IN LOVE with his colorado grille swap :D

By the way, yes that is a 1999 Chevy Blazer 'Trailblazer'. My found it at a local dealership and had my girlfriend buy it for herself. Picked it up for a steal, with low miles and a problem that I fixed after we got it home. Thing is LOADED.

#25 ·

Also, the dealership sent me these as well. Its a bear claw like scratch that was on the hood. It brought the price down from 13,500 to 10,500. 144K miles

We ended up replacing the hood on it.

#26 ·
Re: Project CanoRado - PIC HEAVY WARNING

Finally got around to doing wheel bearings last week, as I had major play in my driver side bearing. About ~$300 later, I have got new ACDELCO brake pads, bearings, sensors (some troubleshooting issues)

Apparently I only took one picture, doesn't sound like me...

Was feeling a little stressed out last night, so I went to the carwash at like....3AMish and got everything all cleaned out. Got some good results from hand drying and vacuuming all of the carpets up.

#28 ·

Man, I like those wheels!
They are kinda growing on me :D

Initially bought them because I LITERALLY was incapable of passing up the deal. I got them for $150 with tires...:yup:

#30 ·

I like the blue trim around the headlights
It was one of those, I really want to try it and hope it doesn't make my truck look stupid ideas. Turned out good imo!

#35 ·

Dang! I wouldnt pass up $150 wheels and tires either.
Truck looks nice. Im also about to swap to a colorado grill. Just painted it yesterday.
love the wheels!
Yea everyone I tell $150, they automatically assume I paid that much a piece. NOPE. $150 total. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.