Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum banner

05crewi5 Build *Update 4/18/2016

36K views 313 replies 27 participants last post by  colorado zq8 
#1 · (Edited)
Well guys, I've been doing a lot of research and gathering presents from the man in brown, and though I dont have everything together yet, I feel that nows a good time to start!

First things first. All around tune up.
IR plugs/trans fluid and filter/oil and filter/MAF cleaner/royal purple diff fluid/thermostat to clear the CEL.

Product Material property Lubricant Plastic Liquid

I've got some other stuff done and I'll update soon. Just wanted to get this thing started!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: 05crewi5 build thread (finally)

Oh and the truck. Of course. Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tire Automotive tire

2005 ZQ8 crew cab

#3 ·

Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system Hand Tire

Oil after 5k miles, looks about right.

Hand Wood Impact driver

Squeaky

Eye Water

Shit. Multiple rounds of PB Blaster, frustration breaks, and a 2ft breaker bar later, started to round out. So I stopped. Any ideas guys? Would like to get this fluid changed, and already have the purp.

Especially with..
Speedometer Odometer Tachometer Gauge Auto part

Going to move on to the trans filter and fluid. I know the diff fill plug getting stuck s common but I never saw any fixes?

#22 ·

View attachment 200242
Shit. Multiple rounds of PB Blaster, frustration breaks, and a 2ft breaker bar later, started to round out. So I stopped. Any ideas guys? Would like to get this fluid changed, and already have the purp.

Especially with..
View attachment 200250

Going to move on to the trans filter and fluid. I know the diff fill plug getting stuck s common but I never saw any fixes?
Found this pic to show how we used to remove fussy differential plugs...it's the extreme, but works every time. I'd try the impact/easy-out option first and, if that fails - weld a bolt on that beotch...good luck.

Screw Auto part Fastener Hardware accessory Automotive engine part

#4 · (Edited)
#5 ·

Totally prepared myself bracing the bottom of the pan so I can let it down slowly. Only for the corner to snag at the very last second.

Floor Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Flooring

As if I didn't need to waste more time cleaning up. Lol

#6 ·

Bumper Rim Cookware and bakeware

Looks dark in the pans but if you look at my fingers it really wasn't that bad!

#7 ·

Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Wheel

Not bad for 120k miles. No metal just that sludgy crap

#8 ·
#9 · (Edited)
#10 ·
#11 · (Edited)
05crewi5 build thread (finally)

Auto part Vehicle brake Brake Disc brake Suspension part

Pulled the tire to change the thermostat and ran into this mess. Well.. More time I get to waste cleaning this messes.

#13 ·

Nice truck! Almost feel bad I've had my truck for months and have yet to flush all the fluids.

Can't stand trans pan drops. I can never seem to do that without making a mess lol

Bought it mid January and now I'm getting it ready for special things lol

#15 ·

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Pipe

Getting closer!

Auto part Tire Wheel Automotive wheel system Automotive tire

Done.

Does anyone have a solution to how I can get my diff fluid changed with the fill plug trying to round out?

#18 ·

You could try a correct size easy out?? Or one that is to big to fit in easy. And hammer it in. And replace the plug and anti seize that bitch.

Don't have experience with an easy out to be honest but I'll check it out and see if it seems plausible :)

#17 ·

Engine Auto part Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part

Removed reservoirs and air box to fix a rattle issue with the inlet on the air box and to drain the fluids on the reservoirs. It's dirty in there.

#53 ·

Harbor freight ftmfw!!!! They work great.
Albeit ive never used one on an axle fill plug. But it reasons to believe that if you get one big enough to fit in the hole tight it will work.

Didn't see this until now, and I was at harbor freight twice today... Dang. I'll be looking for it next time, thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have known they'd carry one :)

#20 ·

Turns out my washer fluid pump is bad so lucked out and found out before I put everything back in Fuel pump

I need to call and see if that pump has to be ordered...

#21 ·

For that diff plug an easy out will work. Hammer a big one in as mentioned above and it will come right out. My gf's 99 blazer rear diff plug would not come out and the only way I ever got it out was an easy out.

Good luck and nice truck man!

#23 ·

Not trying to be an as* but you are unloosing the plug and not tightening it my mistake?

#24 ·

Not trying to be an as* but you are unloosing the plug and not tightening it my mistake?

Believe me man, that's not rude at all, anyone can get caught up and make that mistake, and I even asked myself that at one point lol. Unless it's reverse thread, I am loosening by turning toward the top of the truck.

#26 ·

Changed my washer fluid pump since it wasn't working, new pump is in, all lines connected and appear secure/without debris. The new pump does not kick on when I try to spray fluid, but the wipers still activate as if it is spraying. fuse is good. Anyone have this problem?

#27 · (Edited)
05crewi5 build thread (finally)

Checked it with circuit tester and it seems I'm not getting power to the plug.. Hmm

Update- checked the fuse again and it was still fine, I guess it was dirty or not seated properly because I tested it at the plug again and I had power, whatever it works. :D

#34 ·
#30 ·

I've been up all night, But I want to make sure everything is top notch for James at Supermod. This way I'll be less of a headache if/when he starts asking me what's done to the truck.

ON TO THE MANIFOLD!

#31 ·

Pictarz!

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Bumper Vehicle

No more bunny foo-foo

Room Material property Floor Metal

Red Auto part Suspension Pipe Material property

Made from EMT from lowes and some brass fittings. If anyone is curious it's the EMT with the 40 bend, and the bell should be cut off

Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Automobile repair shop Hood

Little brother wanted to help lol

Alloy wheel Rim Wheel Spoke Tire

Some don't like it, but I felt like painting the drums.

Auto part Muffler Metal

This ones for you James! All cleaned and shining! It'll probably be dirty again in a week though..

Tire Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Automotive tire

Truck had no covers at all, I do t like dirt in them, all covered up, but sometimes the simplest things make a world of a difference down the road

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

Black Bumper Red Automotive exterior Grille

Meh.. Didn't have any black paint, I was going to do a red pinstripe outline, don't want to go back to the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.